More college student activities may be found on the "College Group" page (More...)
Volunteer to work with the College students. We are blessed with a faithful and enthusiastic group of college students this year. They are involved in choir, special music, managing the sound system during worship, and many other activities. Sunday evening college student dinners are underway and fully scheduled for this semester. If you would like to host a dinner in your home next semester, a few dates are still available. Contact Eleanor Hopke or Terry de la Vega.
"Thought for the Week" is an e-newsletter, created by Eleanor Hopke, for college students and anyone who may be interested. If you would like to receive the weekly e-newsletter, email Eleanor at firstname.lastname@example.org . Also, feel free to send Eleanor information about Potsdam church and community activities of interest to students to be included in "Thought for the Week."
If you are a person with time and talents who is enthusiastic about college students, consider volunteering to coordinate student activities. To explore the possibilities, contact Terry de la Vega or Eleanor Hopke.
Activities for College Students
There are many ways college students can get involved in the church life at Potsdam Presbyterian:
- Join us for worship on Sundays, be a reader (contact person: Julie Miller 265-4141) or greeter (contact person: Shirley Baylash 268-9557)
- Join the adult Sunday School class when it is in session (after worship), or join some of the short term classes that are set up from time to time
- Participate in any of our small groups - such as Bible Study or Book Group
- Enjoy the fellowship of other college students at Sunday dinners with some of our church families
- Volunteer to cook, serve, and clean up at one of the Community Dinners at the Church (3rd Thursday of each month)
- Volunteer to work with the Youth Group (contact person: Rev. Will)
- Volunteer to work with the Sunday School children (contact person: Ranota Hewitson)
- Keep your eyes and ears open for special Mission opportunities
- Sing in the choir, sing or play in the Contemporary / Praise Band, join the bell choir, or play in the our Potsdam Philhymnonic Orchestra
- Share in any or all of our activities and service projects
- Share your special talents and expertise
Welcome College Students!
(view and print our welcome flyer for college students)
Dinners for College Students
one of the places that college students dine...on the river at the Whittets'
College dinners are hosted by church families throughout the school year. It is a great way for college students to meet the us AND enjoy fine food and good company!
See college group news for more information on upcoming dinners
NEED A RIDE TO CHURCH? Eleanor Hopke coordinates transportation for students who would like a ride to church. Please contact her if you need a ride.
Below, a photo of the gathering on Easter Sunday 2008 at the Kreuzer home, where the students not only got dinner, but also got to try their hand at making "Pysanky" (Ukrainian style Easter eggs). (More pictures...)
Thank you hosts!
Past college dinner hosts include: Eleanor Hopke, Julie Miller & Family, Rosalie & Chip Hunter, Terry de la Vega & Dale Hobson, Connie & Joe Zelinski (Pictures from 1/27/08), Amy & Martin Walker, Eileen & Ken Visser, Jane and Dave Wells, Ruth & Jerry Kreuzer (egg making) (Pictures from 4/6/08), Sue Waters & family, Victor and Linda Caamaño and Family, Pam and Jim Whittet
Thank you College Students!
We are very fortunate to have students from the local colleges worship with us during their time at SUNY Potsdam or Clarkson.
In addition to attending church services with us on Sunday mornings, they have been readers and greeters, singing in the choir, playing in the "Potsdam First Philhymnonic Orchestra" and in the bell choir, and also in the "Contemporary/Praise Band," serving at the Community Dinners, hosting "Coffee Hour," participating in the Adult Sunday School class -- you name, they, have done it! They even participated in a Mission project with Rural Rehab in the fall, 2005. (Click on the photo in this section to see ways in which our college students take part in the life of our church.)
Rural Rehab Work Day, September, 2005.
(More Star Lake pictures and the full story...)