News for the Church, 8/19/21

Hello dear Hearts, 

This is some serious muggy weather we’ve been having. Are you holding up OK?

News for the week:

Rev. Shaun to Preach

Rev. Shaun Whitehead will be preaching for us this Sunday, as I will be away at my family reunion in New Hampshire.

Heating System

Merkley’s Brothers are working this week to fix the heating system in the Community Center. So far, things are going well!

The Roof

Dave Wells met with the owner of RSI construction this week to get an estimate together for a galvanized roof on the sanctuary. A couple of years ago Bob Pickard had gotten estimates to replace the roof with copper or slate, but we didn’t have an estimate for metal roofing. 

According to RSI, the good news is that the roof is in pretty good shape and does NOT need to be replaced at this time. That said, some of the shingles on the tourettes and the decking beneath them do need to be replaced. (If you’ve noticed, we have a few missing shingles in places.) RSI will put together an estimate for us for this work. 

Depending on when we get the estimate in, we may be able to apply for funding from the Rock Charitable Grant for this work— for this year’s grant cycle. (If the timing doesn’t work out well for this year however, we will definitely be able to apply next year.) Given the specifications of the grant, I am hopeful that we have a decent shot at getting funding! 

An Update on Humaira: 

As you are aware from the news, the situation in Afghanistan grows more intense by the day. Humaira is currently safe in Islamabad, Pakistan, but has grown very concerned about her family, whom she left behind. Her parents and seven younger siblings live in Kabul and cannot easily leave Afghanistan.

After being denied a visa to study in the US, Humaira put in a new visa application and received a new interview date of August 24. Senator Gillibrand’s office said they would write urgent letters to support Humaira’s application to the embassy and the State Department, but we don’t get to know right now if that will be enough to grant her a visa. Please continue to pray for Humaira, her family, the Taliban, and the whole of Afghanistan, as they all move into the next, new chapter of their history.

Big Shift Conversations

Session met tonight and decided that our first all-church forum on The Big Shift will take place after church on Sunday, September 19th. I had hoped that we might be able to share a meal together before our discussion, but given the situation with Covid, it looks like we will have to stick with conversation only. 

As the date draws closer, I’ll give you more detail about what to expect on the 19th and in the months following. 

Well, I’m headed to pack my bag and wrangle the young’uns to do the same. We’re leaving at 6 am for our travels, so it’s early to bed for me! 

Pastor Katrina

p.s. Friends, please continue to keep Ron Kaiser in your prayers. He has returned back to work after a stint at the hospital in Burlington earlier this week, but he still struggles with heart issues.